Skip to main content
Main site content

Register with the Home Office

The Worker Registration Scheme closed on 30 April 2011.

If you are a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia, you do not need to obtain our permission before you can work in the UK.


Home Office

From May 1 2004, most nationals of the new member states (except Cyprus and Malta) who wish to work for more than one month for an employer in the UK need to register under the Worker Registration Scheme.

Once you have been working legally in the UK for 12 months without a break you will have full rights of free movement and will no longer need to register on the Worker Registration scheme. You can then get a residence permit confirming your right to live and work in the UK.

If you have already registered on the Worker Registration Scheme, and have been working in the UK for 12 months, you may now wish to apply for a residence permit. Further information is available on the Immigration and Nationality Directorate website. You should apply using form WRS . If you need further information, please contact the Immigration and Nationality Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766.

Download Form WRS to Register



Version 3.65